Friday, March 8, 2013

A Gradual Evocation - The Word and With It The Thing

A Gradual Evocation -
I hear my own voice respond to my past three posts on "The Book Of Anais" -
"nice passages"
"nice piece of work"
and I laugh to myself
soliloquy

and I continue -

"The form emerged as there had been this gradual evocation, celebrating the eternal meaning of all that which passes.
I am reaching back far-to the orange crate on the lawn-to the sublime solitude, alone with my notebook and my pen, a child once again.
African violets often occupied my mind, I would see them when I went within, purple and yellow on black velvet-or it was of their care and maintenance my mind was full - a single leaf, its stem planted firmly in the moist soil, puts down roots, brings forth life, blooms - a car passes - the child takes note - an out-of-state license plate - Delaware -
Delaware - the word was so lovely, as lovely as the silver star shining brightly in the not yet dark sky - the child looked up, and, looking down, made another note.
"The bright star appeared before the fall of night."
He liked how that sounded. He mulled it over in his mind. "It is not the statement that is made," he had then thought, "rather it is the word - the word and with it the thing. The word and the thing."



No comments:

Post a Comment