Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Death Of Marguerite Young's Mother Brings A Sympathy Card

As I said in my recent post on the long correspondence I had with Anais, when we talked of turning our letters into a book her biggest enthusiasm was that we bring attention to the genius of Marguerite Young, and most of all to the great novel published by Scribners in 1965. It was agreed that Marguerite was at the center of our book. Going through the materials to prepare myself for the task of beginning this work, I came upon this extraordinary document: a Sympathy Card which Marguerite sent to me when her Mother died. The text reads:
"Dearest Wayne My beautiful little fairy tale mother is gone - suddently - without warning - and I feel that now I must die.
Love,
Marguerite Young"
The re-reading of this and feeling the embossed silver letters "In Deepest Sympathy" evoke a profound sense of, not loss really, but of a poetic nostalgia for all dead loves and all remembered things because nothing of Marguerite will ever be lost, it being inscribed, as she would have said, on memory's whirling disc. All these years later, this stark cry acts as a talisman propelling me forward to define the very center of our book.

3 comments:

  1. I hope to read your book about you and Anais and Marguerite - please let me know if this is coming out! Death of mother was the most pivotal moment, and most painful, in my life as a woman. I still miss her most of the time, and hear her voice in my head. Going from daughter to the "elder" of the family is a difficult metamorphosis. Thank you for sharing this sympathy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer:
      Your words always convey to me a sense of having come forth from that place where life's deepest moments reside. I thank you for the resonances.
      Wayne

      Delete
  2. Just found this, Wayne. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete