Thursday, August 11, 2011

detail from a Portrait Of Anais Nin As A Bodhisattva

When Anais Nin asked me to write a review of her Diary 1934-39 I filled several hundred Notebook pages with material reflecting the result of contemplations on the nature of bodhisattvic compassion while at the same time giving my attention to the task of going through Anais's Galley Proofs - more and more it was clear that her voice was the voice of a bodhisattva, and so I wrote 'Portrait Of Anais Nin As A Bodhisattva' from which I extract the following:

Anais Nin, through her words, has built an arsenal for use in the perpetual struggle of life against death. Her Diaries are the self-reflective, clairvoyant record of her struggle to give.

1 comment:

  1. Wayne, in her short stories too, it's clear that she is defining life while looking at death. It is painful but more precious somehow. The Bodhisattva has to walk in the world, and it's a messy place. I'm happy she left her writing for us and that you share it here with us.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete