Sunday, March 27, 2011

Each Musician Can Do Something

Recently I read a blogpost by Jessica Duchen which prompted this comment from me:
Thank you for this post which speaks to a worldwide issue.
The civilizing influence of music upon human life is under attack here as well as there.
I believe that each and every musician can do something, no matter how seemingly insignificant.
I can play Mozart for a school for homeless children-and when I visit, speak with them -
"How does this music make you feel?"
One child in the second grade level said - "I felt I was in heaven."
Then I leave my recordings at the school (the 24 Preludes & Fugues of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier Book One" - and the "McEvilly-Mozart 17 Piano Sonatas" and ask the principal and teachers to copy it so that each and every child can have these inspiring works in their own environment. This way, the music becomes a part of their life. When I re-visit, the children have learned the melodies of Mozart and Bach "by heart" - I know this because they are humming the tunes.
It is a small thing, but it is some thing.
Thank you for this message you have posted. You are doing something very important, and I will do what I can to reach out with your words to the few people who follow my tweets.

Visit Jessica Duchen's blogpost -




2 comments:

  1. The gift of music can have no price and is infinitely valuable. Music in your heart, in your memory, repeating in your mind is something no one can ever take away once you have it. Musicians enrich our lives. Music shared is a wonderful gift. Thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring story... I admire you for you generosity and taking the time to do a "small thing" that very few people do.
    -Thomas

    ReplyDelete