Thursday, September 9, 2010

How I Became A Writer

I was a boyscout. The troop needed a scribe. The post came with a notebook and ballpoint pen. Outside the troop activities, I filled the notebook with observations of every sort of phenomenon and figure-nothing was excluded, and I wrote about each and every thing without distinction of what might be considered importance. Everything became luminous once it entered the notebook. The license plates of passing cars, the appearance of the first star, the fireflies above the summer lawn.
I have been scribbling ever since.
So far very little has been shaped or formed into anything but the notes themselves are for me sufficient unto themselves.
That's how I became a writer-there is nothing to it but writing and more writing.
Thinking does not really figure in.
It's just writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment